Crazy. A compliment in this case. And the crazier the better when it comes to getting kids attention so they are tuned into the message you want to teach. But cool too? A tall order, indeed. Nearly a decade later, I have learned to give students opportunities to infuse things that interest them into the classroom. This back and forth keeps us all on the edge of our seats looking forward to great science experiences. I now teach 7th grade science.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Gossip Girls & Basketball: TGIF!

"Oh mY GOD! Look, it's Serena & Blair from Gossip Girls. That is my favorite show!!"

I took a group of students to the NY Academy of Medicine yesterday to do medical library research for their science projects and we saw an episode of The Gossip Girls being filmed. The Upper East Side at 103rd St was completely lined with Harrad's trucks all the way to the edge of Central Park. My students completely flipped out, but the girls were a bit disappointed that they didn't get to see Nate and his dreamy blue eyes.

I have to admit, I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to what is cool these days. I'm teaching sex education in health class right now and we are discussing all the changes that happen during adolescence. I mentioned laws regarding the age of consent for sexual activity and how being at parties with alcohol and older teenagers or college age students is a recipe for disaster. One student said, "That's what happened on Degrassi."

Is it just me or are the teen shows these days really edgy? I remember watching Nickelodeon and Saved by the Bell at their age. Green slime was about as graphic as it got. Well, at least the new teen shows are more realistic than the lame lifetime television specials I saw as a kid.

After school, we all let off some steam at the teacher vs. student basketball game! It was a double win for the teachers!Female teachers won against the girls team by 4 points, and the male teachers beat the boys team in the final minutes.

Teachers rule and students drool!

When it comes to basketball, I'm more of a Joe than a Pro. "Lagos, get on the court. You are the most athletic person here." No, not really. I planned to warm the bench. Really. Dribbling the ball while running and getting the ball in the hoop have always frustrated me, but somehow I managed to make four rebound shots and had three steals. "Mrs. L is really aggressive." "Good defense, Mrs. L " I chuckled. If they only knew... about the time I won the free throw contest in the third grade by shooting granny shots.

Small miracles happen all the time :) And trying your best is more important than winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment