Crazy. A compliment in this case. And the crazier the better when it comes to getting kids attention so they are tuned into the message you want to teach. But cool too? A tall order, indeed. Nearly a decade later, I have learned to give students opportunities to infuse things that interest them into the classroom. This back and forth keeps us all on the edge of our seats looking forward to great science experiences. I now teach 7th grade science.

Friday, November 3, 2006

Archimedes, Newton & Ben Franklin

Who came up with that anyway? What is left to be discovered? How are all great thinkers alike? Could you be the next great scientist? What does it take? Well, in class, we discussed Archimedes' moment of eureka & Newton's observations of apples. However, I embellished the stories quite a bit. According to my retelling, Archimedes bathed with his rubber ducky. Only a few kids pointed out the fact that they didn't have rubber duckies in Ancient Greece.


I asked if anyone could name a person who made past contributions to the betterment of life and science. I heard OVERWHELMINGLY, Benjamin Franklin!

"Yeah, he's on the hundred dollar bill!"

"The guy with the kite experiment. Can we do that?"

"The dude with electricity."

"I love that show Liberties Kids."

"Benjamin Franklin created a secret code for communication during the revolutionary war."

"Miss, who came up with invisible ink?"

"In National Treasure, they used Benjamin Franklin's glasses to read hidden messages."

I couldn't believe my ears! I was gearing up for a lesson on Newton's Laws & these kids were EXTREMELY interested in a topic related to the GRAPHIC NOVEL my husband has been working on for over a year. I gave them a quick lesson on some of the lesser-known facts about this witty, self-made man. They seemed shocked that their science teacher was giving such a thorough history lesson.
To find out more, check out the website.
http://www.thesonsoflibertybook.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment